VCC team wins cashspiel final over reigning world champions
Left to right: Sarah Loken (lead), Lindsay Dubue (second), Kayla MacMillan (third), Clancy Grandy (skip)
Last season, the Kayla MacMillan team that practices at VCC finished second in the BC Scotties. For this season, they recruited Clancy Grandy to skip the team and the results have been impressive. Clancy, who has moved to Vancouver from Ontario, led the team to a championship final win at the Curling Stadium Martensville International on Labour Day. They defeated the reigning world champion, Switzerland's Silvana Tirinzoni, 7-1 in the final, picking up $10,000.
It was the second time the two teams had met in a cashspiel final over a short space of time, as Tirinzoni beat the VCC team in the Summer Series in Quebec on Aug. 29. Those two quick finalist results have given the new team a world ranking of 21st.
Get more out of your practice with Klutch Curling
The Klutch Curling app can now be used on sheet 1 at VCC. Download the app to your phone and you can get:
Please register if you haven't already!
VCC curlers are asked to complete an online league registration form before heading out onto the ice this season. With most leagues getting underway, please make sure you have completed online registration for any and all leagues you will be curling in this season. You can do so by visiting our registration page. Some tips to help you out:
- You are required to fill in a league registration form on the VCC website prior to curling in that league.
- You need to fill in a registration form for every VCC league you will be curling in this season.
- Some leagues collect their league fees online and some don't, but you will pay annual club and association fees to VCC online when your register or in person at the pro shop sometime after registering.
- You won't be charged again for the annual VCC membership fee when you are registering in two or more leagues.
- You won't be charged twice for Curl BC and Curling Canada association fees if you have already registered for a VCC league or paid these association fees on the Curling I/O system through another curling club
- If you are registering to curl at another club that is not on the Curling I/O system - Royal City for instance - then you will be paying the Curl BC and Curling Canada association fees through VCC. Keep your VCC receipt of payment for association fees to present to the club not on Curling I/O and that club will either not collect the fees or provide a refund.
Contact Richard if you need help finding a league or teammates
Register for November learn-to-curl programs and novice leagues
VCC is offering learn-to-curl programs on Saturday afternoons starting Nov. 5 and Mondays at 4:30 pm starting Nov. 14. For more information and registration go to our learn-to-curl webpage. The second of our five-week Saturday Novice Leagues will also begin Nov. 5 with games this season in the afternoon, rather than 7:00 pm.
Still spots open in the doubles league on Saturday evenings
A new Saturday Open Doubles League will run for two 10-week sessions in the 2022-23 the season with separate registration for each. The first league runs Oct. 1 to Dec. 17 (no curling Oct. 29 and Nov. 19) with draw times a mix of 7:00 pm and 8:40 pm. This league is open to all levels of curlers. Click here to register for the fall session.
Looking for curlers in the new Saturday Rec League and Saturday Novice League
VCC is offering a new Saturday Rec League at 7:00 pm this season that is aimed at new and novice curlers but open to all level of curlers. There will be two separate fall and winter 10-week leagues with the fall league beginning Sept. 24. We are looking for two more curlers to fill out a couple of teams, so please register if you are interested or call Richard in the pro shop at 604-874-0122.
The Saturday Novice League that runs at 4:45 pm for five sessions, beginning Sept. 24, currently has nine teams, so we're looking to put one more team together. Registration is being held open to see if we can get to 40 curlers.
Be one of the first to get a new VCC club jacket
Try on one from our full sizing set in the pro shop, then order one custom designed specifically for you.
Gushulak and Prade prevail in Double Back Bonspiel
Diane Gushulak and Patrick Prade went undefeated to win the Double Back Bonspiel, Sept. 9-10. There were 16 teams taking part from local curling clubs as well as Portland, Oregon. Full eight-ends games were played and the power play was put into use several times. There were a number of close games that left viewers pounding on the windows with delight. Another one-day doubles bonspiel is scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 25.
Registration open for Harvest Bonspiel
Information and registration on our Harvest Bonspiel webpage.
Curl on New Year's Eve
The Hog-Many Bonspiel always fills up and registration is open now!
Curling rule changes introduced
Women's lockers still available
The men's lockers sold out quickly, but we still have lockers available in the women's locker room. Click here to book one online.