Curling began in Vancouver in 1912 when Lester and Frank Patrick built the Denman Arena. This facility was affectionately known as "the Pile," bringing hockey to Vancouver as well as curling.
The Vancouver Curling Club occupied the basement of the Denman Arena. Curling stopped during the First World War and did not recommence until 1931 at the newly built Forum on the current PNE grounds with 10 sheets of curling ice.
In 1936, BC participated in the Brier for the first time ever, and a Vancouver team represented the province after winning in Nelson. That same year, the Denman Arena burned down, hockey took over the Forum, forcing curling to only one sheet of ice at the end, and it was 12 feet short of regulation length.
The need for more space and the desire of keen competitors brought new funds for a new facility at 18th & Heather in 1938. Plans were scrapped after the sod turning with the start of World War II. After the war, J.W. Cornett, our Honourary Life President, spearheaded the fundraising, design and construction of our five-sheet facility, which opened October 7, 1949 on Dinmont Avenue.
During the 62 years that the VCC spent on Dinmont Avenue, the club and its building had an exciting history. Thirty-nine of the club's 48 provincial championships - our purple heart winners - were captured by VCC teams curling off of our sand-based floor and on sheets that were a few of feet short of regulation. This included the Lyall Dagg team that won the 1964 men's world championship.
From the piano in the upper lounge and the cafeteria in the lower lounge to the roof and column replacement and the annual spring-time heaves in the ice, the VCC and its members had a number of highs and lows in the five-sheet facility.
In August 2011, the Club moved to a new eight-sheet facility. Located in Hillcrest Centre, the legacy curling facility from the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, the VCC now has a concrete floor, a modern ice plant and a proud new home inside of a community recreation centre.