Travelers Club Challenge -- VCC Playdowns
2015 - 2016 Results
On December 5th and 12th, 6 teams played off in a double elimination format to decide who will represent the Vancouver Curling Club at the Men's Lower Mainland Travelers Club Challenge. The undefeated winner, Team Thompson (Skip: Aaron Thompson, Third: Jack Holmes, Second: Brian Oldham, and Lead: Mark Trowell) swept the field and came out victorious.
See how the event unfolded with the final draw results here.
Each season, the VCC holds a qualifying event to name our teams to the Lower Mainland division of the BC Travelers Curling Club Championships. This year, due to scheduling conflicts in the past the VCC is holding the playdowns BEFORE the New Year.
The Travelers Curling Club Championship is an event focused on providing “curlers that support club leagues on a regular basis... with a major venue to compare their skills against other curling clubs," and the VCC has sent representative teams for the past number of years.
The winning male and female teams from the VCC Travelers playdowns will receive team jackets and move on to represent the VCC at the Lower Mainland division of the BC Travelers Curling Club Championship in Richmond On April 8 - 10th, 2016. The winner of the BC Travelers Club Championship will move on to represent BC. Past participants in this Canadian Club Championship have expressed the reception is "Brier-esq" - "a truly high-level event with excellent athlete support."
- There are two divisions – men’s and women’s.
- Interested teams are to be comprised of players forming a regularly-playing team in one of the VCC's leagues.
- Team eligibility is governed by the “BC Club Challenge Rules of Eligibility”.
- Teams wishing to represent the VCC will need to be available to play in elimination games at the VCC on: December 5th, 2015 and, if necessary (depending on number of entries) December 12, 2015.
- Registered teams will be randomly drawn for their place in the double-knockout draw.
- Click here to view the 2015-16 Men's VCC Playdown Draw
- Registration is closed
- Registration fee is $120 / team, payable by cash or cheque, and is to be paid before the team's first game.
- Each team is guaranteed a minimum of two games (and a chance to receive team jackets and move on to represent the VCC at the Lower Mainland division of the BC Travelers Curling Club Championship).
- *Note: Each division - men's and women's - must have at least three teams entered for the Club to proceed with the playdowns for that particular division. If there are less than three teams, an adjusted format and revised registration fees will be in effect.
LAST SEASON'S FINAL RESULTS
On Day one, Forrest beat Tully on the first draw, and Orr’Reilly on the second. Forrest sat as the A-side finalist, with Tully and Orr’Reilly to play off for the B-side on Day two.
On Day two, Tully beat Orr'Reilly in a hard fought game, all these competitors deserved to be here. This meant that Tully and Forrest were to play, if Forrest won, they would be the champions, if Tully won, Forrest would have another opportunity to play against Tully for the championship. Their second game was a nail-biter and came down to an extra end. Ultimately Tully won the game with a steal of one to make them the VCC Traveler's Champions.
Thank you to all teams who participated, and congratulations team Tully who went on to win the silver medal in the BC Travelers Championships!
|Travellers 6 Teams.pdf||92.78 KB|